As you probably know, I love beauty products and I always seem to get pulled in by pretty packaging and intriguing marketing. The Kylie Lip Kits were no exception. The $29 kits include a lip pencil, a matte liquid lipstick, and are available on KyleCosmetics.com. They’ve been selling out left and right (including today with the launch of her new glosses) and admittedly, I climbed on the Kardashian bandwagon earlier this week when I sat there at my computer clicking the refresh button until her online shop was restocked and Kylie Lip Kits were available for purchase.
I had them in my cart (Posie K, Candy K, and Koko K are my favorites) and even submitted my order with credit card info included but the website was overcrowded with purchasers and after 30 minutes of waiting for an order confirmation, the website informed me that everything was sold out. I sat there feeling a little frustrated and a lot sheepish, considering I’m twenty-nine years old and just wasted 45 minutes of my life hoping for a Kylie Jenner Lip Kit. You can judge… I’m judging myself as we speak.
I decided there had to be a similar product combination that would give the same results… Maybe even one I would like more. So I ventured into Ulta and started searching for options. I discovered this beautiful soft-matte nude lip combo with just a hint of pink that will give you the most luscious 90’s lip look.
In the short video above, I show you exactly how I get this lip look using only two products that together cost less than $11. I think this lip look is the perfect update to your spring and summer makeup look. It adds just a little edge without being too trendy or over the top.
- Prep – – Exfoliate your lips first. I like to use a little lip scrub in the shower every day. Then before you apply your makeup, add a light layer of lip balm to keep lips moisturized.
- Mattify – – This step isn’t necessary, but if you’d like a really mattified lip look dab just a tiny bit of your foundation over your lips with your finger. Use a damp beautyblender to blend it out.
- Line – – Using this beautiful nude-pink lip liner, slightly over-line your lips. I like to focus the line right on my natural lip line and just slightly over, which keeps the liner from looking too clownish. Remember to line all the way around your lips, including down to the corners of the mouth.
- Liquid Lipstick – – Apply the slightly lighter nude-pink liquid lipstick to your lips. Reapply for a bit more pigment, making sure you extend the lip color on top of the liner for a more blended look. Give your lip look a second to dry before eating or drinking.
- Highlight – – I like to keep the rest of my makeup more glowy and highlighted when I do a matte lip. I apply “Moonstone” highlighter to cheekbones and down my nose. I use this shimmery “Bare Study” cream highlighter to highlight my brow bones and the inner corners of my eyes. If you’d like to add just a hint of shine to your lips, apply a tiny dab of this “Éclair” creamy lip gloss… It adds a touch of light pink shine without being too glossy.
What do you think of the matte lip look and the Kylie Lip Kits? I’d love to hear your experience with them if you were one of the lucky ones to snag a kit! And please let me know if you try this nude-pink matte lip look and what you think.